Friday, April 11, 2008

Hello all. Here I go again with another story about my experiences at work. What can I say, my job has taught me alot of lessons about life.
So I am helping at the register and I get this very nice couple. The gentleman was holding his wife's hand and whispering something in her ear. She giggled slightly and she handed me her claim ticket. I got the medication. She then asked me a question about her prescription. You see, there are options for a discount since most of the medications are expensive even though they are generic. The majority of our patients are elderly so they have some sort of insurance to help out, but what about the middle class? I can speak for most when I say that what many people consider well paying jobs, just doesn't cut it if you become ill.
Back to the lady from earlier, her question was how could she get the medication without paying a fortune. She had already applied for the discount but financial services considered the couple over-income. Her husband earned an annual income of 20,000. The lady a skin condition in which her skin was practically falling apart. She would get what looked like scabs and these pieces of skin would fall. The whole thing was very painful even to see the scabs. She had them all over her body. Because of the medications she was previously prescribed, she developed thyroid problems and ulcers to top it of. The doctor prescribed medications for her ulcers, thyroid, and her skin scabs. The cream for her skin was only to help until they could figure out what was causing them. For three medications, the total came up to two-hundred dollars, and that was with the discount included.
The husband became upset when he talked about how when being evaluated for a discount, they advisors said they made too much. They didn't even qualify for food stamps to help with the burden.
The eyes of the lady became watery and explained how they realize how it is not my fault but alot of people get all the help and people who work and bearly make ends
meet don't get assistance.
Needless to say, I felt terrible because I know there alot of people who are going through the same situations. One's health should never be placed in the back seat because whe can't afford it.
I spoke to my supervisor and fortunately we were able to work something out. She left with her medication very grateful.

1 comment:

Cristina Devereaux Ramírez, Ph.D said...

Mayeni, I know this is a tough thing to see. And you are right on the front lines. Did you see the special on PBS the other night and how other countries don't pay anything for medical bills. Check it out. Go to PBS.org. It's a Frontline special.
You'll be surprised.
Mrs. R