Friday, March 28, 2008

New York, New York

This spring break I spent it at New York. The aw began as we were landing, the view from the top and at night was amazing. Given we did arrive very late at night, we just went straight to sleep. The next morning, got up and visited the Liberty Island and Ellis island. Ellis Island is the place where the immigrants were screened for any kind of infection or diseases. Just seeing the pictures, one can get a sense of relief immigrants must have felt. A whole who beginning and a new life. After crusing Battery Park, we headed to check out the World Trade Center just a couple a blocks away. Though there is a only two big holes in the ground(it just looks like they are building any ordinary building), people after seven years still come to bring flowers to the site. Rumor has it that even a year after the incident, one would get chills just being near it. I only got to walk about a tenth of Central Park, which by the way is gorgeous. I visited the Natural Museum of History, where the movie "A Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller was filled. I must admit, it would have been awesome to have some showcases come to life. LOL. At night I got to walk down Times Square. Las Vegas has alot of lights but Times Square puts it to shame. It was a bit impossible to walk though with the amount of people. I got to experience the subway. As a matter of fact,our subway was the 'E'. It took us pretty much everywhere we needed to go. Overall, I had a blast. Coming back though from such a fast paced city, I sure did get a reality check back in El Paso. We are sooo laid back. Anyways, this was my spring break, hope you all had a great one as well.

2 comments:

Veronica :-) said...

I have never been to New York and I do want to go but I feel like I would need longer than a week to actually see everything and really get the feel for it. I know it is a little expensive hotel wise so I'm not to sure how to plan that out. Im glad you did get to go to a place out of El Paso. El Paso will always be my comfort zone.

mcalvillo said...

Actually, we stayed in a hotel in Jamaica, New York. It is in Queens, like 8 minutes from La Guardia Airport. And yes you are right, I needed more time to get to see everything. I felt like I only got to enjoy the tip of the iceberg. I hope you get to go one day, it is really amazing. I am sure you would enjoy it.